top of page
Open Book

OUR STORY

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

Philippians 1:6

On March 25, 1953 a group of 24 people petitioned Midway Baptist Church to sponsor a church plant in Haysville, Kansas. Midway agreed and people started meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Farney. It was not long before more space was needed and a bingo tent was erected, complete with a floor, lights pews and pulpit and the first meeting was held on May 10th. This temporary facility was short lived however as the group bought a “short acre” and officially became Bethel Baptist church on May 31st. While plans for building began, the church met at Haysville State Bank, though it was quickly outgrown as people met in cars as portable Sunday School Rooms. In 1956 a much needed building was erected on 125 S Delos and First Baptist Church (changed from Bethel) planted its physical roots.

 

 

In August of 1979 the church entered into a contract with Pyle construction to build a new building for 350,000 dollars. The building included a worship center, two offices, five pre-school rooms and a lobby. As the church grew the strip-mall shopping center north of the church on Grand was purchased in 1995 as well as a lawyer’s office adjacent to the strip mall.

 

 

The most current edition to the building was finished in 2009, which includes the gym, youth center, offices, choir room, coffee shop and classrooms. First Baptist Church continues to reach its community for Christ with outreach programs such as the crisis pregnancy center (Kala’s Hope), Upward, food pantry (Provision) and Restore while also seeking to build up the spiritual maturity of its members through the preaching of the Word, Bible studies, classes and many age specific ministries. The church continues to strive to be faithful to Christ as Christ has been so faithful to His church.

bottom of page